Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Monday Morning Meeting

As I tried to maintain focus on what was being and the mouth of who was saying it, I realized the harder I fought to concentrate, the easier it was for me to lose concentration and doze off. I fell asleep with my eyes open. 

It was Monday, I was tired, I was bored, and it was Monday. I feel like that sometimes and I will admit that I'm one of the many people who wish that Tuesday would be the first day of the work week and the many who also realize that if it was we would simply hate Tuesday instead of Monday.

Nonetheless, I was brought back from my solitude as the GM's business folder slammed on the table and he said "let's make it a good week." A good week? I can't even make it a good day; hell, not even a good hour because it's Monday! I won't even get into the other feelings I felt and always feel when I drag myself into work on Monday.


I took the liberty of writing a little poem while I was dozing off and forcing myself to stay awake:

Sitting in this chair, they don't even give a care
          10 balloons in my hands cuz they're blowing hot air

I'm rising to the ceiling, a super duper feeling 
I have a winning hand, but no one's really dealing

My mind is pacing everywhere, thinking what should I do
Camouflaging all my thoughts when I really know the truth

I'm loyal, honest, talented, compassionate to boot
Integrity all through my veins but no one gives a hoot

With my skills I close deals making money for the corp 
Oration is my specialty my paycheck says it's not

So I just sit like a minion thinking this is all wrong
While my ideas are being used by "the man" like they're his own


I try to stand, raise my hand, I just want all of you to see me
I'm ignored, now I'm bored in my Monday Morning Meeting.

I don't know about all of you but my Mondays only exist on the extreme plane. They are either really good or really bad. I suppose if I was making 6 figures everything would be fine, right? Wrong. The money is an issue but it not the problem or the solution. "Do what you love and you never have to work a day in your life." I know you have heard that quote before and it's true. So true. I'm still young but I have had jobs back then that offered me that "fun factor." Now that I'm a professional in the "real world" I still long for that balance of fun and responsibility with a nice paycheck that shows my value in the company. I long for Profunsionalism.

Profunsionalism. if you actually use context clues, is a merging of professionalism and fun. You don't come across companies with a culture like that but when you do, hold on for dear life to them. I sit back and think to myself: "I just wrote all of this from how I felt about a Monday morning meeting?" I guess it will do it to you. You can draw inspiration from any place you can feel despair. Darn that's a good quote. :-)

Anyway though, I suppose it's up to YOU to prevent forest fires and also complacency at work. Your job is a place where you see your coworkers more than you see your spouse, family, significant others, pets, and friends. For more than 8 hours a day you are in a building, automobile, or other vessel with someone who gets paid from the same company as you so why not make that relationship as pleasant, positive, and fruitful as could be?

I'm learning this right now. Yes, it's difficult but so is learning to walk for the first time. Babies are fierce and fearless however and they don't even realize it (heck, they don't even realize they drool) but nonetheless we must display that same fearlessness and drive to make things work when it seems they never will. The Monday morning meeting is the perfect place to start because on Mondays no ones wants to be at work or sitting in a meeting discussing mundane tasks, goals for the week, and issues that happened the week prior. This is the perfect environment to begin with a joke or donuts or even a pat on the back or standing ovation for the collective work the company has done to keep their doors open another week.

In closing, nothing that is corny is bad but it's made of corn and corn is used in lots of things today especially Mexican food and who can resist Mexican food?

I wanted to end this post with a bang so here it goes. BANG!

No comments:

Post a Comment